DIRECTOR OF ORGANIZING (FULL TIME)
We are looking for a senior strategist to intensively work with our organizing, services, and civic engagement teams to strengthen our grassroots-led campaigns at the local, state, and federal levels. The ideal candidate will have a strong vision and desire to build statewide power of low-income and immigrant families while also supervising a multicultural team and programs that leverage community involvement and impact at the local and state level. This position is for someone with extensive experience in field organizing, strategic policy campaigns, planning, monitoring and staff evaluation. The candidate will be committed to furthering FLIC’s mission to amplify the power of immigrant communities to impact the root causes of inequality, defending and protecting human rights, including the right to live without fear.
The ideal candidate must be have an impressive public speaking presence and notable with piercing persuasiveness. We are looking for someone that is driven and self-motivated, comfortable, and confident exuding positive energy in front or large, diverse audiences as well as in 1 to 1 settings. Applicants must be committed to an ideology of building community power & share our commitment to membership grassroots decision-making.
Organizational Membership Development and Engagement
- Foster the development and retention of organizational members.
- Develops daily weekly and monthly plans that should detail specific actions towards effective engagement of o-members in campaign strategies.
- Fosters a climate of innovation, cohesion, and integration.
- Contribute and implement innovative ideas to improve membership development and collective impact.
Campaign Development, Execution and Oversight
- Provide strategic vision and direction for short- and long-term campaigns on local, regional, state, and national issues and levels to win policy and administrative change;
- Integrate community organizing with long-term, sustainable community-driven policy change efforts into an annual written plan or proposal;
- Researches potential organizing targets. Analyzes data and applies other criteria to assess possible targets of organizing.
- Ensure that the campaign policy goals reflect the priorities of our members.
- In conjunction with partners and allies, conduct meetings and educational workshops with community groups and constituents to raise the public profile of the organization’s function in the community.
- Foster new relationships with nonprofit allies, groups, institutions and elected officials while building upon existing relationships with community partners and allies.
- Work with our communications department to better integrate online platforms and technology infrastructure to bolster the campaigns and build on the capacity and engagement of our membership.
- Network with local, state, and national groups that are organizing around issues important to our community and foster collaboration with these groups.
- Encourage the use of direct-action, as necessary and appropriate, to advance campaigns.
- Prepare written campaign reports, meeting summaries, and develop tools for field strategy implementation as necessary.
- Represent FLIC in public speaking opportunities including to key community networks, alliances, civic groups, along with other relevant settings such as fundraising events and to the general public.
- Support with content for written grant reports, including budgeting, meeting summaries, campaign evaluations, performance reports on benchmarks as required.
- Proven ability to manage in a manner which inspires, motivates, develops, and maintains good working relations with diverse membership and staff.
- Sophisticated knowledge of legal, political, economic, and industry forces that impact organizing campaigns; preferably including experience working with employers, attorneys, various employment agencies, elected, community groups, and other potential allies
- A bachelor’s degree in Political Science or related field; a minimum of 5 years of experience as an organizer and a minimum of 3 year of experience as a supervisor;
- Experience winning concrete community advocacy or policy campaigns, mobilizing and coordinating large numbers of people into action, and managing shared skill sets through delegation and accountability for collective impact;
- Is politically conscious about intersectional causes of oppression and resistance, can work and connect easily with other social justice issues and links our state and national work to transnational focus.
- Inquisitive, sense of humor, proactive, solution-oriented, collaborative, conscientious, responsible and efficient with a positive attitude; skilled and effective team player
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel;
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and customer service skills;
- Ability to handle multiple projects with positive attitude and strong time management skills, including working flexible hours and travel (many times in the evenings and weekends) to meet program requirements and to broaden community reach;
- Must have their own vehicle and be willing to drive long distances or to travel for at least 1 weekend out of every month.
Salary: $55,000 annual and a generous benefit package
How to Apply
Please email a thoughtful, one-page cover letter along with your resume, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and why you want to work at FLIC to HR@floridaimmigrant.org with the subject line “Director of Organizing”.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
# # #
Key Areas of Responsibility
The Field Manager will manage alongside FLIC’s Political Director all aspects of field, phone banking and data for FLIC’s statewide voter engagement program, including construction of contact universes, reports, VAN administration, voter file. Additionally, alongside the Political Director coordinate robocalls, and robosurveys. The role of the Field Manager is to support the efforts of FLIC’s members and various sites throughout the state. The ideal candidate understands comprehensive campaigns, field operations and adult education methods to implement culturally appropriate capacity building activities and civic engagement opportunities for partners and in the field.
Key Roles include:
- Implement strategies and build infrastructure to conduct field canvass and phone bank operations in South, Central Florida and North Florida
- Support the Communications Team to develop messaging and materials for campaigns and field programs
- Supervises: Regional Civic Engagement Coordinators, Site Leads, Team Captains, Canvassers, Embedded Organizers, Quality Control Associates, Phone Bank Coordinator, Phone Bankers, Communications Associate to strategically use and track appropriate data
- Execute voter engagement plans and monitor progress towards measurable outcomes for participation at phone banks, canvassing, and other voter turnout /engagement activities.
- Develop and manage Partnership Agreements with local partners to implement voter engagement programs
- Support alliance building and membership development to sustain productive internal and external relationships and promote Florida Immigrant Coalition Votes and its member organizations.
- Ensure Voter Database development and management to serve campaign needs. Support Deputy Campaign Manager and Site Coordinators to produce, use and track appropriate data. Develop and oversee data, reporting, and quality control systems statewide.
- Facilitate weekly campaign meetings including setting an agenda, leading the team through the meeting, and ensuring follow-up.
- Contribute to development of overall campaign strategy and strategic decision making.
- Ensure that campaign teams are working in accordance with the campaign’s strategy and field plans.
- Coordinate the documentation and monitoring of progress towards programmatic goals and objectives.
- Provide supervision and coaching to those you directly supervise. This includes performance related feedback, training and support, work planning and appropriate delegation of responsibilities and work.
Qualifications and experience:
- Three or more years in leadership positions in political campaigns, field, and canvass operations covering numerous geographic regions and contacting tens of thousands of voters.
- Demonstrated ability to execute campaign goals and objectives, to work effectively with local allies and leaders and carry out required objectives.
- They will have successful experience leading and managing diverse staffs and working with ethnically and culturally diverse populations and will have intellectual drive, a progressive outlook, and the entrepreneurial spirit to effectively conduct campaigns.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, motivational skills, work ethic, and desire for political change are essential.
- Strong management and supervisory skills required. Candidates must be able to work within a team, have proven leadership ability and an orientation towards handling many responsibilities.
- Background and commitment to social justice work and demonstrate a strong personal commitment to FLIC’s mission and values.
- Experience in building and maintaining multi-sector alliances preferred.
- Strong analytical skills, excellent written and verbal communication, and organizational skills.
- Computer skills: working knowledge of campaign databases including the Voter Activation Network, word processing, spreadsheet, and multimedia presentation software.
- English fluency required, other language desirable (Spanish and/or Haitian Creole).
- Prior knowledge and experience working in Florida and selected regions is a plus.
- Familiarity with 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 non–profit rules a plus.
- This position requires travel.
Salary: $45,000 annual and a generous benefit package
How to Apply
Please email a thoughtful, one-page cover letter along with your resume, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and why you want to work at FLIC to HR@floridaimmigrant.org with the subject line “Field Manager”. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
# # #
RADICAL HOPE PROGRAM MANAGER
FLIC seeks an organized and visionary individual with experience in program management and coordination, with excellent interpersonal and team building skills to lead the implementation of a multi-year, transnational coalition program to advance power building for women of color. Candidate will be driven by excellence, efficiency and adhere to organizational mission. Must have excellent written and oral skills, superior organizational skills, ability to think strategically and maintain relationships with partners, members and funders.
- Develop program implementation structure and processes to ascertain desired impact.
- Develop program tracking for accurate and efficient reporting to senior staff and funders.
- Highly organized with ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of gender, race and class analysis in a political and social context
- Manage and maintain relationship with partner organizations, staff and funders using superb interpersonal skills
- Ability to organize women of color from different fields and backgrounds living in Florida and/or abroad (Honduras, Haiti, Mexico and Puerto Rico) to convene for different gatherings (around different purposes: political education trainings, cultural events and strategy sessions).
- Excellent coordination skills and ability to work with staff from other organizations to move project along, as well as coordinate meetings and conference calls with all relevant parties
- Outgoing and dynamic personality, willing to try new things and fail, ability to learn quickly
- Experience training others is preferable
- Previous experience in organizing, particularly women of color preferable.
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments.
- Position will require the ability to travel locally and internationally, and work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Knowledge of English required, knowledge of Spanish and/or Kreyol preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
How to Apply
Please send your resume as electronic attachment (.pdf or .doc) Ref. subject line “Application for RH Program Manager” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled FLIC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbians, gay men and transgender individuals.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary Range: : $45k to $55k – will commensurate with experience.
# # #
The Florida Immigrant Coalition (FLIC) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to amplify the power of immigrant communities to impact the root causes of inequality, defending and protecting basic human rights, including the right to live without fear.
FLIC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified people, including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals.